Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Wise Words Gandalf...Wise Words

I spent last night consoling a friend who is on the verge of a personal loss and that is never a desirable position to be in. First of all, it is hard to see a friend that you care about in so much pain and even worse feeling and knowing that there is not much you can do about it. It's not that I don't understand, because I do. It's not that I don't care, because no one cares more than I do, I just hope that the few hours of solace I tried to give made a difference.

I also know what it feels like to be helpless and frustrated when nothing goes your way and it all seems to be careening out of control. I understand that feeling of desperation and know all too well the temptation to give up and abandon all that makes you unique. I also know that in those weaker moments in life it is ourselves who are hardest on us. It is our own judgment that is passed on our own actions, decisions and thoughts that is so critical and unforgiving. Perseverance in a time like this in its simplest form, no matter how glamorous is all that those around you will see, and getting through it in any way is what makes the ones you care about so proud of the person you are.

I often refer to the following quote, so often I feel that those I share this with will assume I view my life as a movie and solving all problems is as simple as reciting a line from a film. Well I don't think that and no it is not that simple, however, this proverb helped me through some very hard times and I hope that by sharing it, I can offer the same comfort to others that it brought to me.

..."I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what
to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world besides the will of evil.... And that is an encouraging thought."

Things can happen for reasons that you don't understand and often don't agree with, trust me I know. It is important to realize that the ultimate purpose of hardship is not to crush your will, and no matter what happens or how craptacular it may seem, things will get better, just hang in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home